Monday 11 June 2012

The Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis



I like reflecting on books that I read after I have finished with them, looking back on what they have told me. Last night I laid in bed thinking about The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis for over an hour. I love the informal, thoughts running through their minds way that the story was written. It was comic, but also a little sad. Ellis perfectly reflects how sometimes we can receive and create messages that are mixed and sometimes create our own reality and what we want to happen rather than what actually is. The characters are sometimes oblivious to how they are making others feel and are impacting on others.

The character's lives seem empty - they have no hold on real life, as if they and those around them have given up. Considering there was no big climax or moment to the story, I always wanted to continue reading. The characters have an addictive quality - destructive and dangerous - their lives seemed to be hanging by a thread ready to snap at any moment and propel the characters into an even darker abyss from the one they were currently inhabiting. Not one of the characters were happy - even though they had a lot of sex, took a lot of drugs and had a lot of possessions. This aspect of the book really resonated with
me, it told in words the feeling that you get inside that
something is missing which you try to fill with as many
things and substances that you possibly can. But nothing
works and its an aching feeling that just won't shift, and
which remains unresolved at the end of the novel.

I could go on forever.

Read it - The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment